photo we-believe.png photo lifestyle-2.png photo travel-3.png photo lowrys.png photo adoption.png

In honor of Pioneer Day

Pioneer Day is a holiday celebrated in Utah and by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints around the world. It commemorates the first mormon pioneers to enter the Salt Lake Valley on July 24, 1847 after persecution in the east. In years past it has been a fun day to remember and a free day off work while living in Utah! Today though, I am feeling more and more grateful for those early pioneers who risked so much for their faith. This can relate to so many people, not just mormons. It is a wonderful thing to see people of such faith. I was able to learn more of these early saints as we participated in our stake trek. I thought I had posted a little about it but looking back I guess not. 

So, I know as mormons, we're a little different, and I like that! That being said, I know going out to the middle of nowhere, leaving behind your family, home, technology, and all the comforts we enjoy, trekking for miles and miles each day with a giant handcart, sounds super crazy....but trust me, there is a point. (Notice I didn't say it wasn't crazy!) Some areas of the church decide to do a trek with their youth but it is not a requirement for anything. Different people are asked to help with various aspects of the trek, we were called and asked to be a Ma and Pa for it. I was on board right away, my sweet husband...not so much. We accepted to serve and help our stake though. I am always super excited when I get to work with the youth of the church, they are such wonderful young people trying their best to do what is right. My husband also loves working with them but the thought of using his vacation time to go do what, in his words, "the pioneers did so we didn't have to", was not so appealing. As we started some of the training we needed to do beforehand Rob had a complete change of mind/heart. He knew he was doing what The Lord had asked, he knew he was serving where needed, and he knew, most importantly, how excited I was! Ok, maybe the last one wasn't the most important. 

The church website says "As members relive the struggles and joys of the pioneers, they learn humility and reverence for their ancestors who sacrificed so much.". I found this to be so true from our experience on trek. 
I loved 
every. single. minute. of. it. 
I hope that I will be able to participate in another trek one day. 
This is our cute little trek "family". We love these young men and young women so so much. It was a blessing to see them grow and learn on this trek and they are all examples to us in different ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by fabulous k