photo we-believe.png photo lifestyle-2.png photo travel-3.png photo lowrys.png photo adoption.png

Europe 2013 Salzburg, Austria

What do you think of when you think of Austria? I think of The Sound of Music, duh! When planning our trip I knew we had to stop in Austria, a beautiful country I had never been to. After lots of research, I found getting to Hitler's Eagles Nest was best done from Salzburg. Sadly, due to weather, The Eagles Nest is not open year round. We literally missed the opening of it by one week, sad. Rob was really bummed but I promised we would come back for a visit when it is open. It's a win win for us actually! Salzburg was so great and hadn't saved too much time for the city. We knew we would take a tour out to Berchtesgaden, the little town below The Eagles Nest. This tour also had an unexpected stop at SalzWelten that ended up being super fun and awesome! Check them out here. We had fun sliding in the mine, looking for "white gold", hearing the history of the mine, taking the train/mining car, and crossing the salt lake. We quickly enjoyed Berchtesgaden and a peek at The Eagles Nest on the mountain! While back in Salzburg we did Rick's walking tour catching all Salzburg's major sights. Again, I highly recommend getting Rick's travel books and downloading his audio guides for the European city you'll be exploring. 
A statue of Mozart in the square. He was born in Salzburg and they sure are proud of that! 
Grandma and Gary in front of an awesome fountain

Residenzbrunnen fountain is the biggest Baroque fountain outside of Italy

Salzburg Cathedral, originally built in 774 but rebuilt a few times due to fire and war
I loved all the horse and carriages waiting out front to catch a tourist and take them for a "romantic" tour of the city
I loved the inside of this beautiful cathedral, especially this amazing interior of the dome

Organs amaze me


This little "hole in the wall", literally, bakery spelled and tasted divine
This was at St. Sebastian cemetery. I loved how all the graves had beautiful flowers planted on top.
Mozart's wife and father are both buried in this cemetery.  
The coolest cheese slicer around! It actually worked too, I tried! 


This is Getreidegasse, a shopping street that was HUGE and all the shops signs were these cute wrought iron signs.
Hahaha, even McDonald's 
I loved these! Reminded me of downton abbey



The most amazing view of Salzburg from Hohensalzburg Fortress 




Rob was trying to make the coin in that little tiny thing sticking off the side of the fortress. 
Can you see it?

This is below looking up at the fortress on the hill
Grandma on our way up to the fortress 



My hottie! 

 How gorgeous is this view?! This is looking out from the salt mine
 I loved the mining car/train we rode into the mine on

 Our awesome get-up to keep us clean in the mine...




 and now for your viewing pleasure...our sound of music moments in Austria! 









2 comments:

  1. Nee, these might be some of my favorite photos that you've taken! I love the photos of the cathedral, the flowers on the gravesite, and the details of the different foods...and of course, the Sound of Music photos! Next time you go to Austria, take us with you ;) We loved Vienna and I would love to see Salzburg! --Corina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so ready to go back! I would love a Tunison/Lowry European adventure!

      Delete

 

design + development by fabulous k